UPDATE: The deadline for applying is now Monday, July 25th.

From: Due, Molly (Concord)
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2016 9:02 AM
To: [log in to unmask] ([log in to unmask])
Subject: Job Posting: Librarian (Medical Science), San Francisco, CA

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/443713200

I'm only the messenger, please direct any questions to: VHA Nationwide DEU Phone: (844)456-5208 Email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Librarian (Medical Science)

VETERANS AFFAIRS, VETERANS HEALTH ADMINISTRATION

Agency contact information

1 vacancy in the following location:

*             San Francisco, CA

Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent

Opened Thursday 7/14/2016 (1 day(s) ago)

Closes Tuesday 7/19/2016 (4 day(s) away)

*             Salary Range

$58,132.00 to $91,433.00 / Per Year

*             Series & Grade

GS-1410-09/11

*             Supervisory Status

No

*             Who May Apply

United States Citizens

*             Control Number

443713200

*             Job Announcement Number

ANS-16-EGH-1734740

Apply

Print Share Save

Job Overview

Job Overview

Summary

Vacancy ID: 1734740

OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise - "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) needs employees who possess the energy, compassion, and commitment to serve those who served our Country. Whatever the job title, every position in VA will give you a chance to make a meaningful and personal contribution to the lives of truly special and deserving people - our Veterans. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. Working for VA is one of the most emotionally satisfying and professionally rewarding ways to dedicate the best within you to your Country's service. If you are transitioning from the military or a Veteran already, we invite you to explore the benefits of continuing your career at the VA. The VA is committed to hiring Veterans.

The VA is much more than just another employer. It is an honorable, open and welcoming community of those who care. Gratitude is our motivation and service is our mission.

The VA has adopted Core Values and Characteristics that apply universally across the Department. The five Core Values define "who we are," our culture, and how we care for Veterans, their families and other beneficiaries. The Values are Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect and Excellence ("I CARE").

America's Veterans need you! To find out more, go to http://www.va.gov/jobs/.

Duties

The location of this position is in the medical library at the San Francisco VA Medical Center (SFVAMC).

NOTE:  This position involves a multi-grade career ladder.  The major duties listed below represent the full performance level of GS-11.  At the GS-09 grade level, you will perform assignments of a more limited scope and with less independence.  You will progressively acquire the background necessary to perform at the full performance level of GS-11.  Promotion is at the discretion of the supervisor and is contingent upon satisfactory performance, availability of higher level work, and availability of funds.

The Librarian serves as the library manager directing, supervising staff, and managing the operational and strategic development of the medical library.  SFVAMC is a teaching hospital and the medical library provides services to a diverse clientele which includes clinical, administrative, support staff, Veterans and their families, trainees in many health occupations, students, research personnel, and the Office of Regional Counsel. Major Duties and Responsibilities Include:

*        Medical Library Administration and Management (20%) - Develops, manages, and administers a comprehensive library program. Manages a patient education library program. Actively promotes and serves as an advocate for library services and resources. Prepares the annual budget request, categorizes and documents expenditures, justifies any requested increases. Ensures compliance with copyright laws and license agreements; as well as contracting regulations. Tracks, analyzes, and reports data, including fiscal records, and equipment inventory. Serves as an active member of interdisciplinary hospital-wide committees, representing the library and acting as a consultant providing information that is relevant to the work, concerns, and considerations of the committee

*        Medical Library Information Services (40%) - Provides reference services for staff. Assists library customers in the most efficient use of library resources and services. Evaluates resources and references, both primary and secondary, for authoritativeness, timeliness, accuracy and relevance to specific information requests. Executes complex searches providing accurate and reliable information that informs clinical and management decisions, and supports research efforts in the rapidly changing environment of biomedical knowledge-based information.  Assists clients in formulating clinical questions for executing targeted searches.  Works with physicians, nurses, and other staff in clinical settings, in routine clinical conferences, in the library or virtually to provide pertinent literature as requested for medical & surgical rounds, case conferences, mortality & morbidity meetings, and root cause analysis (RCA). Identifies areas in which the library can embed its products and services seamlessly into the workflow of departments and staff and implement programs to take advantage of these opportunities. Provide database searching which may involve executing complex systematic reviews (SR).

*        Medical Library Technical Services (10%) - Develops authoritative collections, electronic and traditional, specifically targeted to the information needs of SFVAHCS staff so that information needs can be met quickly and cost effectively. Applies knowledge and expertise in library and information sciences, particularly medical libraries and specifically hospital libraries in order to direct the daily operation of the library. Catalogs and processes material for the library using a web-based integrated library system. Applies knowledge of interlibrary resources and procedures in hospital libraries to facilitate interlibrary cooperation and the smooth exchange of information in order to provide SFVAHCS staff access to a wide range of resources beyond those licensed or owned by the Library. Utilizes social media communication tools.

*        Human Resources Development (15%) - Responsible for managing the recruitment, orientation, and retention of library support staff for the library.

*        Customer Service, Communication, and Interpersonal Effectiveness (10%) - Routinely identifies the customer's needs in person or remotely and performs the tasks required to provide the required service efficiently and in a timely manner.  Interacts with follow employees in a professional and courteous manner to facilitate the accomplishment of the work of the organization.

*        Special Projects (5%) - Performs other related duties as assigned.

Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p .m.

Travel Required

*             Not Required

Relocation Authorized

*             No