Hi Everyone -

Please join us for the next in our regular monthly series of free Department of the Library Park Ranger Speaker Series lectures, entitled "The Vietnam Veterans Memorial" on Tuesday, July 19th from 1:00 - 1:45 pm in Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior Building's Rachel Carson Room.

The Vietnam Veterans Memorial recognizes and honors the men and women who served in one of America's most divisive wars. The Maya Lin designed memorial grew out of a need to heal the nation's wounds as America struggled to reconcile different moral and political points of view. Even though the memorial was conceived to make no political statement about the war, it has brought about controversy, from the purpose of the memorial to its original design to subsequent additions since its dedication in 1982. Nevertheless, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial is thought of as a place where everyone, regardless of opinion, can come together to remember and honor those who served.

Please join Park Ranger Paul O'Brian for a discussion of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, from its turbulent origins and through its contentious past to its current place today as one of our nation's most revered memorials.

All that are interested are invited.  The Rachel Carson Room is located in the basement level of the Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior Building, towards the back of and adjacent to the Interior Department cafeteria.  The Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior Building is located at 1849 C Street, NW in Washington.  Space for the program is limited so please go to the following link to register:

https://docs.google.com/a/nbc.gov/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGgtcWo5SGpfN3VNNVFobVNSTThyaXc6MQ#gid=0

Please also note that we will be offering WebEx webinar access for this program.  If you are interested in remote live access to this program, please note it on the online registration form or send an e-mail to [log in to unmask].

You may contact the Library by phone at (202) 208-5815 or by e-mail at [log in to unmask] for more information about this program and/or directions.   For more information about DOI Library resources and services, please visit the DOI Library's website, located at http://www.doi.gov/library.

We hope you can join us in person or virtually on July 19th.

George Franchois
Director - U.S. Dept. of the Interior Library
Office of the Secretary - Office of Facilities and Administrative Services (OFAS)
1849 C Street, NW, Room 2262, MS 1151
Washington, DC 20240
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Phone: (202) 208-3796