---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gary A. Galo <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 7:00 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] : Fancy speakers? Check. Sub-woofer? Check.
Electric Utility Pole?
To: Dennis Rooney <[log in to unmask]>, Seth Winner <
[log in to unmask]>, _Steven <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Guys,

These folks are not crazy when they talk about the contaminated power line.
If you've ever looked at it on a distortion analyzer, it's appalling. But,
I wonder if getting your own pole and transformer solves the entire
problem. There's a lot of high-frequency noise on the power line, for sure,
and there's no question that it audibly degrades the performance of most
audio equipment. But, an equally-serious problem is  the flat-topping of
the waveform. The AC power line is supposed to be a sine wave, but it
always shows visible flat-topping, like an audio amplifier being driven
into clipping. The flat-topping is caused by all the non-linear loads
connected to the AC line. I seriously doubt that even having your own
transformer would get rid of this, since the transformer would have to have
a narrow enough bandwidth to begin attenuating at the 3rd harmonic in order
to do so. Having your own pole and transformer will isolate you from your
neighbors, and all of the noise generated by their appliances, computers,
etc., but I seriously doubt that it will get rid of the flat-topping.

I converted from conventional AC line filtering to AC regenerators about
five years ago. The regenerators are made by PS Audio - they generate an
entirely new 60 Hz sine wave and step it up to 120 VAC. I have three of
them - one on each mono power amp, and one on my low-level equipment
(preamp, digital player, D/A converter).

The regenerated AC is free of both flat-topping and the high-frequency
noise that plagues the AC line. I've measure 3 to 5 % harmonic distortion
on the AC power line. The output of the regenerators has less than 1% THD
even under load.

To me, AC regeneration is a saner and, I think, ultimately more effective
solution to the problem than getting your own pole.

Feel free to post my comments on the ARSC Listserve, which I am not on. I'm
sure many people think that this topic is not worthy of serious discussion,
but they're dead wrong.

Cheers,

Gary

Gary Galo