I have previously posted this reply (to different questioners) on the
ARSCLIB and the SAA mailing lists.

I have done surveys like this and bought a meter. With a three-axis
meter no particular concerns are necessary. In general, I found the
levels in most situations to be below what will damage tape. In the old
days, CRT monitors were about the most sensitive devices we had.

10 mG or less for crt monitors was the goal.

This question was asked in a different form (what is the level that puts
tapes at risk) on the ARSCLIB list.

I will repost my reply here:

The reference I have used for years is:

www.mrltapes.com/field-strength-for-partial-erasure.pdf

I bought a one-piece 3-axis meter for about $150 from these folks about
a decade and a half ago.

http://www.lessemf.com/gauss.html

This looks like a good choice at $150

XYZ Axis EMF Tester (Cat. #A194)

However, the unit I have I think goes out to higher harmonics which
might be interesting with large three-phase power installations, so
another choice on the same page for $269, but it may be overly sensitive
and not be able to measure higher strength fields discussed in the paper.

3-Axis Backlight Gaussmeter (Cat. #A107)

For $300 it looks as if this might be closest to what I had and found
most useful.

Switchable 1:3 Axis Gaussmeter (Cat. #A153)

Though for $200 you can get this:

Datalogging 3-Axis Gaussmeter w/ PC (Cat. #A494)

Cheers,

Richard