I listened to the clip and then read all the following comments. I had
exactly the same thought as Ted. Most of the burbles start with an
increase in pitch which indicates a slowing down during recording. My
thought was an overly wide tape catching in the guides, but reel flanges
or other annoyances could cause it.

If this is near the end, this type of damage might also be introduced by
the tape extruding into the hub's threading slots, but then it is more
frequent and doesn't have the pronounced increase in pitch.

Since Jamie offered, it would be interesting to see what he can do with
it. Obviously, the bias will be distorted in the same way.

Cheers,

Richard