Print

Print


Hello,

I experimented earlier this year in the NYPR archive with netmdpython
scripts to extract ATRAC data from a MiniDisc/player over a USB
connection.  The instructions to install the necessary components to
run/install Python/scripts can be found here:
https://wiki.physik.fu-berlin.de/linux-minidisc/doku.php?id=netmdpython

The caveat here is that you need the right MD player.  Netmdpython only
works with Hi-MD MZ-RH1 and MZ-M200 “Hi-MD” Walkmen.  Also, it only works
on a Mac OS, since the USB libraries for Windows are apparently not
up-to-date.  I was fortunate that the archive coincidentally had the right
players.  When I got everything set up and ran the scripts, I transferred
~60 tracks in a matter of seconds to my computer, and then used ffmpeg to
convert the tracks over to *.wav format.

Just a suggestion.  If you have any questions about my experiences using
netmdpython, you can respond to me off-list or keep the convo going here in
case anyone else is curious.

Best,
Mary Kidd

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 12:00 AM, ARSCLIST automatic digest system <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> There are 5 messages totalling 379 lines in this issue.
>
> Topics of the day:
>
>   1. Minidisc recovery? (2)
>   2. Stanton 680 EEE stylus (2)
>   3. ARSC Blog Guest Post: "The Phonogram Magazine, Now Online" by Mason
> Vander
>      Lugt
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 2016 07:22:56 +0300
> From:    Shai Drori <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Minidisc recovery?
>
> Hi John
> Agree except that migrating should not be to other optical media but to
> computer files.
>
> Cheers
> Shai Drori
> Expert digitization services for Audio Video
> Hi Res scanning for film 8mm-35mm
> www.audiovideofilm.com
> [log in to unmask]
>
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 12:22 AM, John Haley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > Minidiscs are by now an odd format, and players that can deal with both
> i=
> ts
> > technical playback and its proprietary, "computer driven" data-reduction
> > system are going to be very hard to find before long.  They were never a
> > great means for archiving anything, as they are inherently lossy.  That
> w=
> as
> > an intentional part of the design.  All data stored on minidiscs that has
> > any value should be migrated to regular CD format.
> >
> >  Best,
> > John Haley
> >
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 5:06 PM, Lou Judson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >
> > > I have a friend who has a trusted method of doing this. It involves
> > > swapping out the transport while a good TOC is in memory. I=E2=80=99m
> B=
> cc ing him
> > > and if he can do it, will let you know!
> > >
> > > <L>
> > > Lou Judson
> > > Intuitive Audio
> > > 415-883-2689
> > >
> > > On Aug 9, 2016, at 2:00 PM, Richard L. Hess <[log in to unmask]>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > > Hi, all,
> > > >
> > > > As you know, I attempt to have an index to cover as many formats as
> > > possible on my website and for the minidisk, I have the material below,
> > > which prompted a potential client to ask:
> > > >
> > > > I wondered if you had any updated contacts for people that might be
> > able
> > > to =E2=80=8Brecover music from a MiniDisc with an unwritten TOC file.
> > > >
> > > > It appears that the people offering this as a service in Bristol
> > England
> > > have closed down.
> > > >
> > > > I think this needs an update. Badly.
> > > >
> > > >> Minidisc
> > > >> Filed under: =E2=80=94 2006-03-19 by Richard L. Hess =E2=80=94 Last
> =
> Edit 2008-02-23 by
> > > >>
> > > >> Resources for transferring Minidiscs:
> > > >>
> > > >> Richard L. Hess, Aurora, Ontario (author of these web pages) =E2=80=
> =94
> > > Masterdigital, Covington, Louisiana
> > > >>
> > > >> The Minidisc transfer and recovery expert is Electronic Design
> > > Laboratory in Bristol, England
> > > >> Caution: After noticing a problem, the less you do to the MD the
> mor=
> e
> > > likely EDL will be able to recover it.
> > > >>
> > > >> Berkeley Language Center (510) 642-0767 can also transfer Minidiscs.
> > > >>
> > > >> Suggestions:
> > > >>
> > > >> Minidisc is an excellent acquisition format for many subjects, but
> i=
> t
> > > has never gained the traction of other formats. We would strongly
> > recommend
> > > against using Minidisc as an archival format. With proper equipment,
> > > Minidiscs can be digitally transferred to gold audio CD-Rs. We
> generall=
> y
> > do
> > > it through the computer, but stand-alone transfers can be done as well.
> > > >>
> > > >> We use two Sony MZ-R37 Minidisc recorders, each with a dedicated
> Aud=
> io
> > > Technica AT-822 stereo microphone, for oral history recording.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > --
> > > > Richard L. Hess                   email: [log in to unmask]
> > > > Aurora, Ontario, Canada                             647 479 2800
> > > > http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm
> > > > Quality tape transfers -- even from hard-to-play tapes.
> > >
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Wed, 10 Aug 2016 04:45:10 -0400
> From:    John Haley <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Minidisc recovery?
>
> Yes, Shai.  That's right.  I'm being old fashioned.
>
> Best,
> John
>
>
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 12:22 AM, Shai Drori <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > Hi John
> > Agree except that migrating should not be to other optical media but to
> > computer files.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Shai Drori
> > Expert digitization services for Audio Video
> > Hi Res scanning for film 8mm-35mm
> > www.audiovideofilm.com
> > [log in to unmask]
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 12:22 AM, John Haley <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Minidiscs are by now an odd format, and players that can deal with both
> > its
> > > technical playback and its proprietary, "computer driven"
> data-reductio=
> n
> > > system are going to be very hard to find before long.  They were never
> =
> a
> > > great means for archiving anything, as they are inherently lossy.  That
> > was
> > > an intentional part of the design.  All data stored on minidiscs that
> h=
> as
> > > any value should be migrated to regular CD format.
> > >
> > >  Best,
> > > John Haley
> > >
> > >
> > > On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 5:06 PM, Lou Judson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > >
> > > > I have a friend who has a trusted method of doing this. It involves
> > > > swapping out the transport while a good TOC is in memory.
> I=E2=80=99m=
>  Bcc ing
> > him
> > > > and if he can do it, will let you know!
> > > >
> > > > <L>
> > > > Lou Judson
> > > > Intuitive Audio
> > > > 415-883-2689
> > > >
> > > > On Aug 9, 2016, at 2:00 PM, Richard L. Hess <
> [log in to unmask]
> >
> > > > wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > Hi, all,
> > > > >
> > > > > As you know, I attempt to have an index to cover as many formats as
> > > > possible on my website and for the minidisk, I have the material
> belo=
> w,
> > > > which prompted a potential client to ask:
> > > > >
> > > > > I wondered if you had any updated contacts for people that might be
> > > able
> > > > to =E2=80=8Brecover music from a MiniDisc with an unwritten TOC file.
> > > > >
> > > > > It appears that the people offering this as a service in Bristol
> > > England
> > > > have closed down.
> > > > >
> > > > > I think this needs an update. Badly.
> > > > >
> > > > >> Minidisc
> > > > >> Filed under: =E2=80=94 2006-03-19 by Richard L. Hess =E2=80=94
> Las=
> t Edit 2008-02-23
> > by
> > > > >>
> > > > >> Resources for transferring Minidiscs:
> > > > >>
> > > > >> Richard L. Hess, Aurora, Ontario (author of these web pages) =E2=
> =80=94
> > > > Masterdigital, Covington, Louisiana
> > > > >>
> > > > >> The Minidisc transfer and recovery expert is Electronic Design
> > > > Laboratory in Bristol, England
> > > > >> Caution: After noticing a problem, the less you do to the MD the
> > more
> > > > likely EDL will be able to recover it.
> > > > >>
> > > > >> Berkeley Language Center (510) 642-0767 can also transfer
> > Minidiscs.
> > > > >>
> > > > >> Suggestions:
> > > > >>
> > > > >> Minidisc is an excellent acquisition format for many subjects, but
> > it
> > > > has never gained the traction of other formats. We would strongly
> > > recommend
> > > > against using Minidisc as an archival format. With proper equipment,
> > > > Minidiscs can be digitally transferred to gold audio CD-Rs. We
> > generally
> > > do
> > > > it through the computer, but stand-alone transfers can be done as
> wel=
> l.
> > > > >>
> > > > >> We use two Sony MZ-R37 Minidisc recorders, each with a dedicated
> > Audio
> > > > Technica AT-822 stereo microphone, for oral history recording.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > --
> > > > > Richard L. Hess                   email: [log in to unmask]
> > > > > Aurora, Ontario, Canada                             647 479 2800
> > > > > http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm
> > > > > Quality tape transfers -- even from hard-to-play tapes.
> > > >
> > >
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>

-- 
Mary Kidd