Hi -

The Texas Christian University Library is looking to move some archival magnetic sound and video recordings to new areas in the library and our off-site facility not far away.  Before we do this, however, we need to be sure that electro-magnetic fields in those areas are not above tolerance, in order not to damage the recordings.  I have some information on acceptable levels for this sort of material, but we don't have a gauss meter or other measuring device, and no one on staff has the expertise to wield such a thing.  TCU Physical Plant doesn't have a device or the necessary expertise either.

I have the idea that a gauss meter wouldn't be too expense to purchase, so we could do that if needed.  I thought I'd ask whether there's anyone reasonably local who would be able to help us further, or if not, if anyone can refer me elsewhere.  Thanks very much -

Laura J. Ruede, MLS
Van Cliburn Archivist
TCU Box 298400
Fort Worth, TX  76129