From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dennis Rooney
Sent: Tuesday, August 2, 2016 12:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] The Mystery of Interloping Vox Discs

"Ovation" was not a high-budget project. I was producing the Minnesota Orchestra broadcasts in those days and also producing session recordings by them for Vox Productions, the proprietor of which, George H. de Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, was also responsible for the Caruso issue on Murray Hill Lps, the subject of many recent posts. As I recall, he offered to supply pressings of *Petrouchka* as a promotional gesture. The first disc, therefore, consisted of earlier MSO recordings as Dave notes. They were all transferred by me and the tape masters were cut and pressed by Vox, if memory serves. They were the first historical recordings of the MSO to be reissued. While I repent of the quality of some of the cuts on that disc, I am gratified that I was able to offer far better reissue quality on the Minnesota Orchestra's Centennial CD Collection, which I produced in 2002.

Leibowitz's *Gurrelieder* is one of the best of the recordings of that work but its Vox reissue was not covered in sonic glory. Although the catalogue now has plenty of issues of it, it took several decades before another creditable recorded performance came along.

Ciao,

DDR

--
1006 Langer Way