From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Leigh Billings
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 1:32 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Converting AACR2 authority records to RDA authority records

As I understand it, yes, per the Descriptive Cataloging Manual-Z1 (see page 27: 008/10):

"General All new name authority records created and contributed by LC/PCC catalogers must use code 008/10 “z” and include subfield $e rda in the 040 (Cataloging source) field.

When an existing NAR using code “a”, “b”, “c”, or “d” is modified in any way, evaluate the NAR and re-code it to RDA, changing the 008/10 code accordingly.

Exception 1: If an existing NAR using code “c” is modified only to change or add a 5XX field, catalogers are strongly encouraged, but not required, to evaluate the NAR and re-code it to RDA, changing the 008/10 code accordingly.

Exception 2: Existing undifferentiated name authority records coded 008/10 “c” may be modified to remove one or more identities in order to create differentiated RDA authority records. When modifying an existing undifferentiated name authority record for this purpose, the updated undifferentiated name authority record must retain the existing 008/10 code. "

--
Leigh Billings ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
Slavic Cataloger, International Studies