It makes sense to me, Robert (hi!).  I haven’t been inputting 700 $e publisher for commercial publishers (that would require quite a bit of authority work…).  Is there a move to do that in light of linked data considerations?

Jasmin

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Robert Bratton
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2016 1:35 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] "Publisher" as relationship designator--correct or not?

Hi Jasmin,

RDA chapter I defines the relationship designator issuing body as such:  "A person, family or corporate body issuing a work, such as an official organ of the body."  The RDA glossary defines a publisher as:  "A person, family, or corporate body responsible for publishing, releasing, or issuing a resource."

While that isn't terribly helpful, I've been using the relationship desigantor "publisher" only for commercial publishers.  I also only use it when cataloging older books.  I use the relationship designator "issuing body" when the body acting as a publisher had something to do with the intellectual/artistic content of the work.  Thus, when the American Patent Law Association issues a report about patent law, I would consider them the issuing body, versus when Thomson Reuters publishes a book about patent law, I would consider them the publisher and not an issuing body.

Even if my interpretation is correct, does this distinction make any sense to users?

Robert

--

Robert Bratton

Cataloging Librarian