Hi Judy, (and all),

I’m curious about this part of your message:

Yes, I sometimes used the name of a specific publisher when creating series authority records to distinguish different series with the same titles proper; but I was creating manifestation authorized access points.  RDA does not yet (!) address authorized access points for manifestations.

LC-PCC PS 6.27.1.9 (Additions to access points representing works), in the section titled “Serials (Including Numbered and Unnumbered Monographic Series), part 2a [for generic titles] instructs us to “use as the qualifier the body issuing or publishing the serial.”  Part 2b [for other situations] lists “corporate body” as an option without further explanation, so one would assume it also includes the publisher’s name, as in 2a.

So, it looks like we are still to create manifestation authorized access points for monographic series per PCC policy.  Is that your understanding too?  There are many cases where the publisher’s name is the only qualifier that will allow distinguishing one series AAP from another in a meaningful way.  (The title is common, the associated place is the same, and the associated dates are sufficiently close to be unhelpful.)

The Policy Statement also goes on to talk about date and place of publication as options for qualifiers, but as I understand it, we are allowed to sub these in for date and place of creation of the series work, since the latter data points are usually difficult to determine or to distinguish from the former.  (Does anyone know where this is documented?)

P.S. Judy, many thanks for your series authority training and documentation back in the day.  It provided an excellent foundation that is still valid, as it was/is based on a thorough understanding of the nature of the materials.

Mary Jane Cuneo

Serials cataloging and NACO

Information and Technical Services

Harvard Library