PCCLIST readers:

In my post with subject " T.J. Winter is Abdal Hakim Murad" I mentioned that the action did not prompt a prohibitive warning that the data in field 100 of  nr 94042948. (Murad, Abdal Hakim) normalizes to a 400 field in n  92084331 (Winter, T. J.).  To which Amy Turner responded, "Does this ever happen?  I can’t recall seeing such a warning and thought it was up to the cataloger to search  both access points and variants thoroughly to prevent duplication."

I apologize for introducing what turned out to be a red herring in the discussion!  No such duplication actually exists in the situation I was addressing - though it looked suspiciously like it might.  And had there been an attempt at such duplication by provision of a 400 field which was indeed called for, the situation that now needs to be addressed might have been avoided.

However, concerning the prohibitive warning: I have encounted such, if not with a 100/400 conflict between NARs then between two NARs having the same 100 field,  not as a consequence of a failure to search, but in an attempt to address an undifferentated NAR.  The AAP in the new unqualified NAR conflicted with the existing undifferented one that was to be reported for deletion.  So I couldn't create a new NAR in this case.  I don't recall how this was resolved (probably by adding a qualifier, which LC doesn't always do in such cases).  But the point is, that Connexion didn't allow the conflict to be created between two NARs with identical AAPs.  And in my opinion, it should also prevent creation of a conflict between an AAP in one NAR and a VAP in another.  If Connexion (or any other system) doesn't warn about a 100/400 conflict, perhaps it can be upgraded to do so.

Sincerely - Ian

Ian Fairclough

George Mason University

703-993-2938