Stephen,

Adjusting the 046 dates would be helpful to patrons if they were publically accessible, if we could tell people that “the dates in the AAP are not necessarily accurate.” But as long as the dates are part of the AAP, it seems they’re likely to cause some confusion for people, at least if there is a discrepancy of 20 years, as I said.

Ted Gemberling

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stephen Hearn
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2016 2:04 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Dates of activity

In addition to adding a 670, are we agreed that the 046 activity dates can be adjusted freely when the AAP activity dates are not being changed? Or do 046 and 100 $d have to match? The argument for uncoupling them would be that the 046 dates are data about the person and ought to reflect our best information, while the 100 $d dates are primarily a piece of differentiating text for the AAP and as such don't need to be optimized for accuracy in the case of inherently fluid "active" dates.

Stephen