I don't think there is any guidance on this Mary Jane.  I frequently use strings if the totality of the string best conveys the field of activity.  For example, American literature has a very different meaning than American literature--History and criticism.  As does Japan versus Japan--Social life and customs.

Adam Schiff

University of Washington Libraries

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Cuneo, Mary Jane <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 4:32:16 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: 372, strings or no

Hello PCCList,

I thought there was a previous thread on whether to prefer coding whole LCSH strings or just facets of them in authority 372 (Field of activity), but am unable to find one.  Can anyone assist?  (Or point to some documentation that addresses this?)  It would be good to know the reasoning behind the best practice too.  Our NACO group is wondering, and I want to offer them the current PCC thinking; consensus would be ideal, but unresolved is okay too if that’s where we are.

Thanks much,

Mary Jane Cuneo

Serials cataloging and NACO

Information and Technical Services