Thanks Michael, Adam, and Richard.  I have shared your thoughts with our NACO participants and encouraged them to use their best judgment.

Mary Jane Cuneo

Harvard Library

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michael Colby
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2016 11:34 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: 372, strings or no

Adam Schiff said: I don't think there is any guidance on this Mary Jane

Some guidance would be nice, wouldn't it?

I have evolved to the point where I enter information in the 3xx fields of an authority record in a "faceted" (for lack of a better term) manner. That is, if the information is in one field, I don't duplicate it in another. Examples:

374 Composers

375 female

NOT:

374 Female composers

375 female

368 Congresses and conventions

372 Viticulture

NOT:

368 Congresses and conventions

372 Viticulture--Congresses

As I've said, I haven't seen any guidance. I would like to think this could be a best practice. Others may not agree.

Regards,

Michael Colby
Principal Cataloger
University of California, Davis