Dear CW,

I'm giving a cross reference for a person whose forename is hyphenated
("Nils-Gòˆran"); the cross reference includes the initial-ized form. On the
source, a hyphen is used ("N-G"). My understanding is that periods should
be added, but I'm less clear on whether the hyphen should be retained. RDA
9.2.2.21 says "Include any typographic devices when they appear as part of
multi-letter abbreviations of a name." Is a hyphen a "typographic device"?
My inclination is to include it, not only because it's representative, but
also since it creates a visual parallel with the hyphen in the full
forename being given in $q of the same field.

It's too bad that punctuation isn't searchable in the NAF, as I'm sure
ample precedent for this situation exists.

Thoughts? Thanks,
Casey

--
Casey A. Mullin