Cataloging and Bibliographic Access Librarian

For the complete posting and application instructions see usajobs.gov at: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/448135800.

The Smithsonian Libraries invites applications for a collegial and resourceful professional to fill a new exciting position of Cataloging and Bibliographic Access Librarian. The incumbent reports to the Head of Original Cataloging/Principal Cataloger, Discovery Services Division, within the Smithsonian Libraries (SIL).  The Cataloging and Bibliographic Access Librarian is responsible for creating original catalog records on OCLC and in SIRIS (the Smithsonian Institution Research Information System) and with facilitating access and discovery of materials in the Libraries’ collections.  Smithsonian Libraries is a participant in the Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC), and the incumbent is expected to contribute program records, via OCLC, under the guidelines of the PCC’s constituent programs, NACO (Name Authority Cooperative Program) and BIBCO (Monographic Bibliographic Record Cooperative Program).  The incumbent also works with metadata processing and record sets for batch editing and importing into SIRIS.

Specifically, the Cataloging and Bibliographic Access Librarian:

Required Qualifications

Situated at the center of the world's largest museum complex, the Smithsonian Libraries forms a vital part of the research, exhibition, and educational enterprise of the Institution. The Libraries unites 21 libraries into one system supported by central collections support services. We maintain publication exchanges with more than 3,000 institutions worldwide that supply Smithsonian scientists and curators with current periodicals, exhibition catalogs, and professional society publications. The Smithsonian Libraries participates in the advancement of science and the arts just as we have from the inception of the Institution. Acting as both public and academic library, as both scholarly resource and general information service, the Libraries offers a galaxy of resources and the help of informed staff to anyone through the Internet or in person.

By working at the Smithsonian, you make an important contribution to an Institution beloved by the American public and visitors from around the world. The Smithsonian is the guardian of some of our nation’s most valuable scientific, historic and artistic treasures and is a leader in research, innovation and discovery. We offer our visitors a unique, inspiring experience and we offer those who work here a chance to make a difference in the cultural life of our nation. The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."

The job posting will be open on Aug. 19 and will close on Sept. 2, 2016, or when the first 100 applications are received.   The review of applications will begin immediately. The complete announcement and application instructions are on USAJOBS: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/448135800.  Review health and leave benefits at: http://www.si.edu/OHR/benefits.  Please contact Lowell Ashley at [log in to unmask] or Polly Khater at [log in to unmask] with any questions.

Lowell Ashley

Principal Cataloger

Discovery Services Division

[log in to unmask] | 202.633.1642