Hi Ben,

Thank you for bring this record to our attention.  This is no longer in the prepublication status because it has been received and undergone CIP verification, which is the process for updating and completing the CIP record to make it a full level record.  The edition statement likely came from the CIP data application and was not corrected at the CIP verification stage.  So, this record is no longer truly a CIP record in the sense of being prepublication status (encoding level 8) because someone has looked at it compare the published book to the CIP bibliographic record and updated the record accordingly.  The verifier did not catch the edition statement, and we can correct that.

CIP is a source of information in that one needs to keep in mind that it is created before the work is finalized and published.   I would hope that libraries use it in their workflows as way to identify CIP materials that would have a record for use.

Thanks

Caroline

Caroline Saccucci

CIP and  Dewey Section Head and Program Manager

U.S. Program, Law & Literature Division

Acquisitions & Bibliographic Access Directorate

Library of Congress

(202) 707-3317

http://www.loc.gov/aba/dewey/

http://www.loc.gov/publish/cip/