As I understand it (hope I'm not wrong), ISBD requires a subtitle (or 'other title information') to be separated by a space-colon-space.  But the reverse is not necessarily true, that it, that a colon means the wording that follows must be a subtitle to a title (or in your conference example, information to be dropped from a name).

The problem with that long-running assumption is that there is now a huge number of records in OCLC's database with mini-titles proper like "Final report : $b ..." and the like which I see daily in the copy-cataloging of technical reports that we do.  When I need to make an access point for a related title, I feel compelled to edit the record of the related title to make that title entry meaningful.  And in most of those cases there is no colon appearing on the item, but just space or new line.

Ed Kazzimir

ARLIS

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alexis Zirpoli
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 8:02 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Colon in title proper

Also, I should clarify that I am aware that a conference heading is not technically a title, but a name of a corporate body. So, I guess in that case, different punctuation rules apply? Or do they.

All the same, there are, as others have mentioned, other errors in that authority record for Whaling in the Antarctic (an a number of other conference NARs created by LC around the same time).

Still, I'm confused about what to do with that pesky colon in situations where it's in a title proper (as for a series authority) or the name of a conference.

Thanks!

- Alexis