I was in Group 1 [of 3] when Yale catalogers received NACO training in the mid-90s; this group was trained by Ana. She called it “the ’Bud’ rule.” Later, whenever I wanted to retrieve that LCRI, I just searched on “bud.”

Something to keep in mind as we catalogers grapple with this particular situation is that we deal primarily with printed matter, and our guiding principle in constructing AAPs is how a name is represented in print.

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Reser, Dave
Sent: Wednesday, 28 September 28 2016 16:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Names including an alternate name in quotes

Stephen hit the nail on the head for why we didn’t bring forward that old LCRI; while it was clear that the nicknames often represented a variant form (my colleague Ana Cristan could cite the “Bud Schulman rule” by heart), we had many cases from the catalogers working with our American Folklife Center collections where the ‘nickname’ was *always* recorded with the given name, and staff confirmed with the creators  (usually musicians) that they considered both  parts to be their given name and they never used their nickname alone.  As Stephen says, names have such variety.

Dave Reser

LC PSD