OK, there’s a form of work on the record now J

The record does not reflect “older RDA rules” for expression. The RDA instructions have never corresponded to AACR2’s use of the same uniform title to represent the work and the original language expressions. In RDA an authorized access point that contains only a preferred title (as Scriptores historiae Augustae) or only an author/title combination (as Homer. Iliad) can only represent a work. In RDA this does not represent both the work and original language expressions. RDA 6.27.3 is quite clear on this point. To construct an authorized access point for a particular expression you add content type, date of expression, language of expression, or another distinguishing characteristic to the authorized access point for the work. If you have an authorized access point that consists of a preferred title alone or a creator plus preferred title combination alone, and that has none of these things added, it is for the work, not any expression.

LC-PCC PS 6.27.3, in the first place, is LC practice only. Other libraries are free to follow or not. Therefore there is varying practice. I personally think that the PS doesn’t stand on a very solid foundation; at the very least it shouldn’t be referring to the first 700 in the “Mail carrier” example as an “analytical authorized access point for the original expression”. Although it may have represented that in AACR2 it clearly does not in RDA.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University