I wonder if that means, then, that if we created expression records for some of those languages (it looks like there’s a Hebrew and a Slavic one in the 430’s), we would remove those language forms from the Work record? The English and Latin would need to stay because they are how we refer to the work in English. But it hardly seems like it would be worth the effort to do this until someone actually needs to create an expression record for his/her catalog.

Ted

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Amy Turner
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2016 6:38 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] What RDA are we following, again expression with original language

And it has been in the online file since 1980 with a LCCN of n  50004878, so it predates all of this work/expression terminology by decades.

I remember at Duke we used to make cross references like these in the subject catalog, while in the author-title catalog, cross references in a certain language were only made to what we would now call authorized access points for  expressions.

The common thread through the decades is that applying these rules has been a source of puzzlement for catalogers, leading me to wonder how these mind games are benefitting the users.

Amy