I am trying to figure out how to remove the 667 on n  85294628 (Besson, Jacques, Dauphinois) or replace $c Dauphinois with something else. I am baffled by how RDA applies to it. Calling this person "Besson, Jacques, Dauphinois" seems to be the practice on a number of web sites such as World Cat Identities. Do they constitute "reference sources"? If so, does that make that form the "preferred form of the name" (RDA 9.2.2) and qualify it to be left as is?

I notice there is another problem with the authority record. Most of his works appear to be in Latin, so there is a 400 with the Latin form of the name, but the "Dauphinois" is left off, I assume because it's French, not Latin.

It might be problematic to try to replace the $c with dates, because English and French Wikipedias give different birth and death dates for him, as well as different places of death. So maybe something like "Dauphinois" or (Mathematician) is what we are left with. (On one of his books, the usage is: Dauphinois, docte mathematician).

If I changed it to (Mathematician), would that screw up World Cat Identities and other sites that have been using the present form, or would they update to agree with the NAF?

Thanks for any enlightenment,

Ted P. Gemberling
Historical Collections Cataloger
UAB Lister Hill Library, rm. 234B