Sometimes French names can be interesting.  I remember when I asked LC why
John Calvin had the authorized form as Calvin, Jean.  They said that is how
he is referred to in French reference sources.

So we went from his birth name, Jean Cauvin, to the Latin form, Johannes
Calvinus, to John Calvin.  It appears that the French sources took up the
French form of the forename and the English form for the surname.

For an example of how place of origin is used in an authority record, take
a look at the AAP for Thomas Aquinas.

Gene Fieg
Retired Cataloger