Hi, I have a query about working of NACO. My understanding is that when a
NACO library receives a book and catalogs it, then it should create a Name
Authority Record for the author of the book, if not already established in
the Library of Congress Name Authority File.
But for the book *Survey of Emerging Cataloging Practices : Use of RDA by
Academic Libraries*, a catalog is created by many PCC NACO members, but
a Name Authority Record is *NOT *created for the author.

Ultimately this books will reach the Library of Congress as it is published
from the United States and when they catalog it, they will also create the
NAR for the author. *My query is whether the PCC NACO libraries who had
acquired and cataloged this book should have created an NAR for the author
of this book?*

*Book Information:*

*Survey of Emerging Cataloging Practices : Use of RDA by Academic
Libraries */ by Salman Haider & Primary Research Group Staff. - New
York : Primary Research Group, 2016. (111 pages ; 28 cm.).
ISBN: 9781574403831

   - *Publisher: Primary Research Group (New York, United States)
   <http://www.primaryresearch.com/view_product.php?report_id=595> *
   - *Booksellers: *Amazon (U.S.)
   <http://www.amazon.com/Survey-Emerging-Cataloging-Practices-Libraries/dp/1574403834>
   <https://www.amazon.fr/Survey-Emerging-Cataloging-Practices-Libraries/dp/1574403834/ref=sr_1_1?s=english-books&ie=UTF8&qid=1463740074&sr=1-1>
   <http://www.amazon.de/Survey-Emerging-Cataloging-Practices-Libraries/dp/1574403834/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463740149&sr=8-1&keywords=Survey+of+Emerging+Cataloging+Practices%3A+Use+of+RDA+by+Academic+Libraries+%28>
    | Amazon (Russia)
<http://russia-amazon.ru/amazon_us/item/1574403834> | Research
   and Markets
   <http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/3714949/survey-of-emerging-cataloging-practices-use-of>
   <http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Survey-of-Emerging-Cataloging-Practices-Use-of-Rda-by-Academic-Libraries-Primar-/142006693671>
    | Walmart
   <https://www.walmart.com/ip/Survey-of-Emerging-Cataloging-Practices-Use-of-Rda-by-Academic-Libraries/52097179>
   - *Universities/Catalogs - United States: *WorldCat
   <http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/949911758> | University of New Mexico
   (Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States)
   <https://unm.on.worldcat.org/oclc/949911758?databaseList=2264,2263,2262,1271,2261,173,2260,2281,143,2328,2007,2006,2237,2259,203,2268,2201,2267,1672,3036,3201,1708,638>
    | The University of Chicago (Chicago, United States)
   <http://pi.lib.uchicago.edu/1001/cat/bib/10750274> | Texas A&amp;M
   University (Texas, United States)
   <https://libcat.tamu.edu/vwebv/search?searchArg=haider%2C+salman&searchCode=GKEY%5E*&limitTo=none&recCount=50&searchType=1&page.search.search.button=Search>
   <http://ttu-primo.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/01TTU:01TTU_ALMA:01TTU_ALMA21240686410002611>
    | The University of Texas at Austin (Austin, Texas, United States)
   <http://catalog.lib.utexas.edu/record=b9246113~S29> | Auburn University
   (Auburn, Alabama, United States)
   <http://catalog.lib.auburn.edu/vufind/Record/4633562> | University of
   Alabama (Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States)
   <http://library.ua.edu/vwebv/holdingsInfo?bibId=4488036> | University of
   Alabama (Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States)
   <https://www.lib.ua.edu/#/bento/salman%20haider%20> | Catholic
   University of America (Washington DC, United States)
   <http://catalog.wrlc.org/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?BBID=16090324> | Westminster
   Choir College of Rider University (Princeton, NJ, United States)
   <http://sierra.rider.edu/search/?searchscope=5&searchtype=o&searcharg=ocn949911758>
    | St. Catherine University (St Paul, Minnesota, United States)
   <http://clicnet.clic.edu/record=b5562635~S27> [E-Book] | Florida State
   University (Tallahassee, Florida, United States)
   <http://fsu.catalog.fcla.edu/permalink.jsp?23FS034360635> | Virginia
   Commonwealth University (Richmond, Virginia, United States)
   <http://search.library.vcu.edu/VCU:cat_scope:VCU_ALMA21480871750001101>
    | Old Dominion University (Norfolk, Virginia, United States)
   <http://odu-primo.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/01ODU:Everything:01ODU_ALMA21298589180003186>
   - *Universities - Canada: *McGill University Library (Montreal, Canada)
   <http://catalogue.mcgill.ca.proxy3.library.mcgill.ca/F/X8SG4T29RCHVGHVGCPAD66UCN31PB4LTXR76NJCA2CFRUH1BAU-45676?func=full-set-set&set_number=005646&set_entry=000001&format=999>
    | University of Saskatchewan Library (Saskatoon, Canada)
   <http://sundog.usask.ca/record=b4129753~S8> | University of Ottawa
   (Ottawa, Canada <http://orbis.uottawa.ca/record=b5584445~S0>
   - *Universities - Australia: *University of Technology, Sydney (Sydney,
   Australia) <http://find.lib.uts.edu.au/?R=OPAC_b3068756> | Macquarie
   University (Sydney, Australia)
   <http://multisearch.mq.edu.au/MQ:PC_PLUS_LOCAL:MQ_ALMA21158462850002171>
   - *Universities - United Kingdom: *National Library of Scotland
   (Edinburgh, Scotland)
   <http://main-cat.nls.uk/vwebv/search?searchArg1=9781574403831&argType1=any&searchCode1=ISBN&combine2=and&searchArg2=&argType2=all&searchCode2=GKEY&combine3=and&searchArg3=&argType3=all&searchCode3=GKEY&year=2016-2016&fromYear=&toYear=&location=all&place=all&type=all&language=all&recCount=25&searchType=2&page.search.search.button=Search>
   - *Universities - Hong Kong: *The Chinese University of Hong Kong
   (Shatin, Hong Kong) <http://library.cuhk.edu.hk/record=b6111755~S15>
   - *Universities - Qatar: *UCL Qatar Library (Doha, Qatar)
   <http://catalog.library.georgetown.edu/record=b6013139~S3> [Integrated
   library of Georgetown University, Washington D.C. in Qatar and University
   College London]
   - *Social Cataloging Applications:* LibraryThing
   <http://www.librarything.com/work/18102903> | Goodreads
   <https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31228863-survey-of-emerging-cataloging-practices>
    | Open Library
   <https://openlibrary.org/works/OL17361157W/Survey_of_emerging_cataloging_practices>
   - *Reviews:* Cataloging &amp; Classification Quarterly

*Primary Research Group (New York):*

Primary Research Group is the publisher of *Survey of Emerging Cataloging
Practices : Use of RDA by Academic Libraries*. PRG publishes research
reports, surveys, and benchmarking studies for businesses, colleges,
libraries, law firms, hospitals, museums, and other institutions. Based on
substantial primary and secondary research, benchmarking studies by PRG
allow institutions to compare their budgets, managerial decisions,
technology purchases, and strategic visions to those of their peers.

*Press release (New York, May 5, 2016):*

*Primary Research Group Inc. has published the Survey of Emerging
Cataloging Practices: Use of RDA by Academic Libraries, ISBN
978-157440-383-1 The study presents data and commentary from 60
predominantly academic libraries about their use of Resource Description
and Cataloging, or RDA. The questionnaire was largely designed and the
summary written by award winning cataloging and metadata librarian Salman
Haider... ... Data is broken out by of academic institution, tuition level,
and type or Carnegie class among other variables.*

*The study reports on library perceptions of RDA, ease of implementation,
librarian training and use, and reception by patrons, among other issues.
The study presents detailed commentary on the integration of RDA with ILS
systems, and reports on the impact of RDA on cataloging productivity and
use of staff time. It also contains detailed information on how librarians
are training for use of RDA and what resources they are using to accomplish
this. The report also looks at the general state of cataloging in academic
libraries with questions about budget, staffing, technology use and more.*

*Just a few of the report’s many finding are that:*

*According to the survey participants 111.72 minutes is the mean extra time
needed for every 10 library items cataloged using RDA vs. prior procedures.
The median time extra was 50 minutes, and the range was from 0 to 600
minutes.*

*A plurality of survey participants were not in favor of retro-conversion
services for RDA cataloging as they do not think that it will result
in saving of time and money, and high quality records. Out of all 56

*35.59 percent of all survey participants say the library has spent “about
the same” on cataloging over the past five years, while 32.20 percent
estimate that they have spent “somewhat less.” Just 8.47 percent of
participants say their institutions have spent “somewhat more” on
cataloging.*

*Comments / Testimonials / Reviews:*

*James Weinheimer
<http://blog.jweinheimer.net/2016/07/why-i-unsubscribed-from-autocat.html>*
, *Director of Library and Information Services, American University of
Rome, Rome, Italy* [July 11, 2016] --  Incredible finding (that was met
with complete silence) in the report “Survey of Emerging Cataloging
Practices: Use of RDA by Academic Libraries”.

With best regards

Salman Haider