Hello all,

I'm upgrading to RDA the record for the National Symphony Orchestra of
Taiwan (no2008142999). The cataloger who originally set this up added a
qualifier to the heading, presumably applying AACR2 24.4C2 (that is, the
"body has a character that is national, state, provincial, etc.") With a
generic name like this, it makes sense. RDA's 11.3.3.3 allows this, so the
presence of the qualifier is not problematic.

What puzzles me is that the place qualifier was chosen as "China." Is this
permissible in RDA? Wouldn't "Taiwan" be more appropriate? The clause at
LC-PCC PS 16.4 says "Use “Taiwan” for the province of Taiwan only as a
location qualifier."  Now,I read this as *allowing* the use of "Taiwan",
but not necessarily *requiring* the use of "Taiwan" in such cases. Still,
"Taiwan "seems the prudent choice.

If practice here used to be different (i.e., specifically calling for
"China"), I can't find an old LCRI that says so. In the spirit of not
changing a 1xx unless absolutely necessary, I will leave it alone if
someone can cite justification for the choice of "China" as qualifier for a
body located in Taiwan.

Thanks so much,
Casey