Hello all,

I'm upgrading to RDA the record for the National Symphony Orchestra of Taiwan (no2008142999). The cataloger who originally set this up added a qualifier to the heading, presumably applying AACR2 24.4C2 (that is, the "body has a character that is national, state, provincial, etc.") With a generic name like this, it makes sense. RDA's 11.3.3.3 allows this, so the presence of the qualifier is not problematic.

What puzzles me is that the place qualifier was chosen as "China." Is this permissible in RDA? Wouldn't "Taiwan" be more appropriate? The clause at LC-PCC PS 16.4 says "Use “Taiwan” for the province of Taiwan only as a location qualifier."  Now,I read this as allowing the use of "Taiwan", but not necessarily requiring the use of "Taiwan" in such cases. Still, "Taiwan "seems the prudent choice.

If practice here used to be different (i.e., specifically calling for "China"), I can't find an old LCRI that says so. In the spirit of not changing a 1xx unless absolutely necessary, I will leave it alone if someone can cite justification for the choice of "China" as qualifier for a body located in Taiwan.

Thanks so much,
Casey