The former is a name authority record and the latter is an LCSH subject authority.  The latter is needed in order to get the heading to display in the LCSH products, and because it is an example given under the subject heading Legislative bodies.  So these are purposely duplicates.

Adam Schiff

University of Washington Libraries

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Chingmy Lam <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:06:20 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Two authority records in the LC subject authority file for "United States. Congress"

Dear all,

During my travel of authority work, I found that we have two authority records for “United States.|bCongress” in our subject index:

LC control no.:

n 79006865

LCCN Permalink:

https://lccn.loc.gov/n79006865

HEADING:

United States. Congress

000

00868cz a2200229n 450

001

488771

005

20121215073848.0

008

790124n| azannaabn |a ana

010

__ |a n 79006865

035

__ |a (OCoLC)oca00240998

040

__ |a DLC |b eng |e rda |c DLC |d NIC |d NjP |d OkU |d CSt

110

1_ |a United States. |b Congress

410

1_ |a United States. |b Kukhoe

410

1_ |a United States. |b Kuo hui

410

1_ |a United States. |b Kongres

410

1_ |a United States. |b Kūnjris

410

1_ |a United States. |b Congreso

670

__ |a Gebert, S. Kongres Stanów Zjednoczonych Ameryki, 1981: |b t.p. (Kongres Stanów Zjednoczonych Ameryki)

670

__ |a al-Islām wa-al-Kūnjris, 1994.

670

__ |a Las necesidades de los ancianos hispanos : audiencia ante el Comité Selecto sobre la Vejez, Cámara de Representantes, 95 Congreso ..., 1978

952

__ |a RETRO

953

__ |a xx00 |b ee08

LC control no.:

sh 85140748

LCCN Permalink:

https://lccn.loc.gov/sh85140748

HEADING:

United States. Congress

000

00385cz a2200157n 450

001

4789241

005

20110729122508.0

008

860211|| anannbabn |n ana

010

__ |a sh 85140748

035

__ |a (DLC)sh 85140748

035

__ |a (DLC)135926

040

__ |a DLC |c DLC

110

1_ |a United States. |b Congress

681

__ |i Example under |a Legislative bodies

906

__ |t 64-- |u ---- |v 0

953

__ |a xx00

I double checked at the Library of Congress Subject Authority Headings and confirmed that both records still exist. I noticed one with the LCCN starting with “n” while the other one starting with “sh”.

I would really appreciate if anyone can tell me if they are just duplicates needs to be reported or there is genuine reasons that we need two authority records with exactly the same 1XX for “United States. |b Congress” as the subject authority headings.

Thanks,

Chingmy

CHINGMY LAM | Metadata Librarian
Information Resources | Access Services | University Library

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Level 1, Fisher Library F03 | The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006 | Australia
+61 2 9114 2236  | F +61 2 9036 6460
[log in to unmask]  | W http://sydney.edu.au/library

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.

Please think of our environment and only print this e-mail if necessary.