The underlying question (add death date where there is an open birth date,
as in "Hartley, Walter, 1927- "?) is addressed with exquisite
ambiguity in "Frequently
Asked Questions on creating Personal Name Authority Records (NARs) for NACO"

      http://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/naco/personnamefaq.html#13

in which Q no. 4 greatly discourages unnecessary changes (changes not
needed for disambiguation)--for reasons which are abundantly clear in this
discussion. Q no. 5, however, is a finely made waffle, which seems on the
one hand to support  updated LCRI 22.17 (February 1, 2006), which contains

"... the option to add death dates to personal name headings that have an
open date, only. Remember that the policy to add death dates was intended
to alleviate the perception of “wrong” or “misleading” headings that imply
the deceased person is still living-- headings without open birth dates do
not give such an impression. Catalogers must follow the existing practice
for existing headings without dates: do not add dates to a heading where
none existed previously (except in cases of conflict, etc. as usual). The
principle of not making changes to headings when these are not necessary
continues to hold true (cf. Response to question no. 12 below)

So which is correct? Add the dates according to the 2006 *policy* (which is
apparently excepted from cases where there is *no* date)? Or stick to the
*principle* of not unnecessarily changing a unique 100? This is a case
where I would unambiguously stick to principle--my cataloging output is
already sufficiently impeded by make-work procedures (e.g. 667 DO NOT USE).
I don't think, under the circumstances, that a "perception"  problem that
had been elegantly addressed by the "b." tactic creates a condition of
necessity.

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble@Br <[log in to unmask]>own.edu>