The usage Corey refers to is for "room tone" to be recorded, because the
location is never completely silent, and that room tone audio can be used
in post under ADR, or to fill gaps in production sound edits.  Ambience has
a different meaning in the film world than say, in the music world, where
is often is used to describe the "liveliness" of a location.

Good location sound recordists do, in addition to recording room tone, also
record an impulse, that can then be used in post as Pete alluded to. The
impulse can then be loaded into a convolution processor to re-create the
sound (reflections, reverb) of the set for mixing ADR or added Foley.

Ellis

--
Ellis
818-846-5525