I feel like, while it may make sense to call out a relationship between Christopher Robin Milne and Christopher Robin, the current state of the RDA vocabulary doesn’t really seem to support a way of doing it responsibly.

Based on the Wikipedia article alone, the relationship between the fictional character Christopher Robin and the person known to the catalog as Milne, Christopher, 1920-1996, seems complex. (As I presume are all relationships between living persons and their literary doppelganger.)  He wrote a whole memoir about it. I should hate to see it boiled down in the crucible of RDA appendix K to emerge as “Alternate identity”. Even something like “based on” or “fictionalization of” (which don’t currently exist) seem a bit crude.

If the ALA proposal to have a generic “related entity” relator term is incorporated into the Toolkit, this might be a good example of where recording a non-specific relationship would be appropriate.

--Ben

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stephen Hearn
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 12:57 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Christopher Robin

Is there a relationship between Christopher Milne the person and Christopher Robin the character? If so, would you express it or not, and how?

There's no expressed relationship between "Alice (Fictitious character from Carroll)" and "Hargreaves, Alice Pleasance Liddell, 1852-1934" in their authorities.  On the other hand, there is a 400 for "Fairchild, Alice, Lady (Fictitious character)", the version of Alice which Alan Moore presents in Lost girls, in the authority for "Alice (Fictitious character from Carroll)". The Moore version of Dorothy Gale has a 400 on the "Gale, Dorothy (Fictitious character)" authority; and the authority for "Darling, Wendy (Fictitious character)" appears to go further down this rabbit hole.

Stephen