I would say a new NAR is not required. This is not an unusual situation for such commissions.  Sometimes the law that establishes them has to be changed; sometimes the name of the commission is changed, but sometimes not.  If there has been no intervening change of name and we didn’t dig into the text of the law, we wouldn’t suspect it is not exactly the same commission.  Section 39 of the law says the membership of the old commission continues on the new.

I believe there has been some discussion of whether our current policy of making a new NAR makes sense when there has been an intervening name change.  I don’t think it makes sense when there has been no name change and it’s a direct continuation of the old body and only the authorizing law has changed.

John Hostage

Senior Continuing Resources Cataloger

Langdell Hall 194

Harvard Law School Library