I’m not sure I agree there, Adam.  Under current PCC policy, the AAP for the Work often serves as the AAP for the Expression as well.  In the editorial cases you cite, I think the AAP is supposed to be interpreted as the Expression, not the Work.

But Robert does have a point that the Loeb Classical Library case could be considered an Expression to Work relationship.  I had actually considered that before I made my previous post, but didn’t want to muddy the waters further.  I do hope the Working Group comes up with a good solution.

                                                                           Steve McDonald

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Adam L. Schiff
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2016 3:42 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] Expression-Work relationships

Bob Maxwell wrote:

“This is an expression to work relationship. At the moment, RDA doesn’t recognize any expression to work relationship (it’s not just confined to series) between different works. And yet such relationships do exist and are important. The RSC Relationship Designators Working Group is proposing to remedy this. We’ll see how that plays at the RSC meeting next month, and how it works out in terms later RDA revisions.”

Here’s another common situation illustrating work to expression relationships:

130 _0  223B casebook series
380        Series (Publications) ǂ2 lcsh
500 1_ ǂi Editor: ǂa Peschel, Bill ǂw r

100 1_  Arendt, Erich. ǂt Poems. ǂk Selections
400 1_  Arendt, Erich. ǂt Trug doch die Nacht den Albatros
500 1_ ǂi Editor: ǂa Albers, B. ǂq (Bernhard) ǂw r

130 _0 Catálogo Histórias mestiças
380       Exhibition catalogs ǂ2 lcsh
381       Pedrosa and Schwarcz
430 _0 Histórias mestiças
500 1_ ǂi Editor: ǂa Schwarcz, Lilia Moritz ǂw r
500 1_ ǂi Editor: ǂa Pedrosa, Adriano ǂw r

130 _0 China-Europe relations (Shambaugh, Sandschneider, and Zhou)
381       Shambaugh, Sandschneider, and Zhou
381       Routledge (Firm) ǂ2 naf
500 1_ ǂi Editor: ǂa Shambaugh, David L. ǂw r
500 1_ ǂi Editor: ǂa Sandschneider, Eberhard, ǂd 1955- ǂw r
500 1_ ǂi Editor: ǂa Zhou, Hong, ǂd 1952- ǂw r

130 _0 Dangerous visions
380       Short stories ǂa Science fiction ǂ2 lcgft
381       Ellison
500 1_ ǂi Editor: ǂa Ellison, Harlan ǂw r

130 _0 Dortmunder Schriften zur Musikpädagogik und Musikwissenschaft
380       Series (Publications) ǂa Monographic series ǂ2 lcsh
500 1_ ǂi Editor: ǂa Erlach, Thomas, ǂd 1970- ǂw r
500 1_ ǂi Editor: ǂa Oehl, Klaus, ǂd 1970- ǂw r

130 _0 Great horror stories (Bernard)
380       Short stories ǂa Horror fiction ǂ2 lcgft
381       Bernard
500 1_ ǂi Editor: ǂa Bernard, Christine, ǂd 1926-2000 ǂw r

Each of these examples has a work access point in the 1XX and a person associated with expressions in the 5XX.

Adam Schiff
University of Washington Libraries