Dear Pete and Netanel :

Hi -- I may be completely off-base on this and if so, I will rely on our
colleagues to quickly set me straight (smile!).
But to my understanding of the AACR2 and RDA Cataloging Standards, this
question of whether or not a given Entity (in this case, the fictitious
character Christopher Robin) is "eligible" for a NACO Name Authority Record
is really critical.

With AACR2 and its emphasis on describing Items, NACO Catalogers relied
largely upon "bibliographic warrant" in order to establish names, titles,
subjects, geographic areas, etc. That is, there needed to be a
bibliographic resource libraries would be interested in acquiring for their
collections in order for a NACO or SACO Cataloger to create a Name or
Subject Authority Record for an Entity.

One of the things that RDA has done very well (in my opinion) is to discard
the "Bibliographic Warrant" prerequisite for NACO & SACO Identifiers. In
doing so, RDA has expanded the universe of Entities eligible to be
described unambiguously within controlled language vocabularies. And this
is critical as libraries and the Information Community moves forward.
Whereas AACR2 was almost exclusively concerned with Item descriptions, the
primary focus of RDA (again, IMHO) is upon Entities and the Relationships
between and among those Entities. If any conceivable Entity (and its
Relationships) is now eligible for description within our Bibliographic and
Authority files, then we as Librarians and players within the Information
Landscape must be able to Identify each of those Entities uniquely and
unambiguously, right?

Getting back to our "Christopher Robin" example, Users and Information
Consumers need to be able to quickly and easily distinguish between:

Robin, Christopher, $d 1908-

Robin, Christopher, $d 1953-

Robin, Christopher, $c (Fictitious character)

... as well as Christopher Robin -- the author of the 2004 work, *Flung, *and
all of the Christopher Robins who have lived but may not yet be established
within the world's assorted Authority Files. And of course, all of those
Christopher Robins not yet born.

As you can probably by this point tell, I believe that the RDA approach to
NACO Entity Descriptions is wise. And that yes indeed, Christopher Robin,
the fictitious character is eligible for a Name Entity Identifier.

my two cents,
Everett Allgood

--

Everett Allgood
Authorities Librarian & Principal Serials Cataloger
New York University Libraries
212 998 2488