In applying changes to name authorities in our local catalog, I’ve seen a number of strange things.  There have been dates added to access points that didn’t seem to need to be distinguished, even a death date added to a name that had no dates, even though the 670 that was the source of the death date also contained a birth date.

Today I find a name to which a middle name was added.  The only publication that used the middle name in the statement of responsibility seems to have been his dissertation.  There were a couple of dozen works without it.  And no reference was made from the previously established form.

The record also disregarded the DCM guidelines on repeatability in the 3XX fields, but that’s piling on.

John Hostage

Senior Continuing Resources Cataloger

Langdell Hall 194

Harvard Law School Library