Seems like it would make most sense to give the name of the ship, if known--it would be just like using the name of a conference center, which is sometimes done.  But since the name is not known, I would think that the number and date should be sufficient.

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Northwestern University Libraries
Northwestern University