Hi Thomas,

sorry for the late response. Your question brought up a few issues that we
discussed at the MODS Editorial Committee. @unit appears both under
<physicalDescription><extent> (where it is defined  as a string) and under
and <end> it is simply defined to be strings. Under the subelement <total>
however, it is defined as xs:positiveInteger with the intention of making
it machine processible.  So in this case, we need to make sure that the
value of @unit is understood.
Therefore we are recommending to normalize the name of the unit to the
spelled out plural form, because that would semantically make the most
sense for values recorded in part/extent@unit=""/total.

The XSLT would be updated accordingly to produce an output that would (for
example) look like this:

<mods:part>
        <mods:extent unit="pages">
            <mods:start>12</mods:start>
            <mods:end>24</mods:end>
            <mods:total>12</mods:total>
        </mods:extent>
    </mods:part>

In this example only <total> will be machine processible, that is the
machine will know that there are 12 pages, but it won't understand the
range.
The documentation will also be updated to make sure all examples will match
the output.

Would that address your issue?

Best regards
Melanie Wacker
on behalf of the MODS Editorial Committee
<https://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/editorial-committee.html>

Melanie Wacker
Metadata Coordinator
Original and Special Materials Cataloging
Columbia University Libraries
New York, N.Y.
(212) 854 9676