NLS Operations Alert
DATE : November 9, 2016
TO : Network Libraries
FROM : Jane Caulton, Head, Publications and Media Section
SUBJECT : Information sheets replace brochures
In July 2016, NLS issued the first set of print information sheets for public education. These products replace the brochures that are now obsolete as the industry is moving toward simplified communication. We hope you find them useful.
Below is a list of the just released information sheets available from your multistate center:
- Braille and Talking Book Program for Aging Adults and Those with Low Vision, large print, stock number BR080. Provides information on NLS services for those with vision loss due to aging and how to continue their enjoyment of books and magazines.
- Braille and Talking Book Program: Eligibility, large print, stock number BR081. Explains who is eligible for the NLS free library service and its benefits for those patrons who are residents in the United States and those US citizens living abroad.
- National Library Service for Those with a Physical Disability, large print, stock number BR082. Specifies the ways the service can help people with physical disabilities that prevent them from using print materials.
The new full-color, double-sided, 8-1/2" x 11" large-print sheets share all the information found in the customizable information sheets in your Network Library Toolkit, which you may still use.
You may also order the following from your multistate center:
- Braille and Audio Reading Download (BARD), large print, stock number BR077. Provides information on the NLS online download site and mobile apps for accessing digital audio and ebraille books and magazines.
- Braille and Talking Book Program for Veterans, large print, stock number BR078. Describes program benefits for those who have served in the armed forces.
- Braille and Talking Book Program for Students, large print, stock number BR079. Specifies the ways the service can help students meet reading needs inside and outside of the classroom.
Currently, an information sheet addressing Frequently Asked Questions is in process, as well as an effort to make the first six information sheets available in braille.
For more information contact:
Head, Publications and Media Section
[log in to unmask]