I think we should tread carefully with this example, lest we annoy the
Doyle fans. The aforementioned titles are not interchangeable.  The
Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, The Return
of Sherlock Holmes, His Last Bow, and The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes all
refer to collections of *specific* short stories.

For example, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is a collection of these
twelve short stories:"A Scandal in Bohemia", "The Red-Headed League", "A
Case of Identity" "The Boscombe Valley Mystery", "The Five Orange Pips",
"The Man with the Twisted Lip", "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle", "The
Adventure of the Speckled Band", "The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb",
"The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor", "The Adventure of the Beryl
Coronet", and "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches".

You can see how the other stories are grouped here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_of_Sherlock_Holmes.

The other more generic titles (Complete Sherlock Holmes, Novels.
Selections, Short stories. Selections, Works. Selections) should presumably
refer to collections that do not fit into those established named
collections.

So, I think we should say there are, in fact, Preferred Titles for those
specific collections.  I think a created conventional title would only be
appropriate for a newly remixed collection of bits (some parts of the
novels, some parts of the short stories).

Julie

--
Julie C. Swierczek
Librarian for Primary Resources and Metadata Services