From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kevin M Randall
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 1:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] One Greek character in otherwise Roman-character personal name

Actually, I would say that the name does *not* look like "E. Ramos".  The Greek letter sigma has nothing to do with the Latin letter E.  (Countless misuses in popular culture notwithstanding; "My Big Greek Wedding", anyone?  The way it appears on posters, I keep wanting to pronounce the third word as "grssk"...)  Greek does have a letter that looks exactly like the Latin uppercase E—and it gets romanized as such.

In the authorized form, I would think the sigma would get romanized as "S".  Perhaps with a variant using "E" for the sake of the many who do not know the Greek alphabet.

Kevin M. Randall

Principal Serials Cataloger

Northwestern University Libraries

Northwestern University