See LC-PCC PS 9.2.2.5.3 for the current rationale, including a set of special instructions for names in Hebrew script only (e.g. if a person who writes primarily in Hebrew uses a non-standard romanization on their LinkedIn page, you can use that in the AAP) that have never been extended to names on other scripts.

Robert Rendall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Original and Special Materials Cataloging, Columbia University Libraries
102 Butler Library, 535 West 114th Street, New York, NY 10027
tel.: 212 851 2449  fax: 212 854 5167