On 08/12/2016, Gary A. Galo wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> Seth Winner did them for Pearl many years ago - they do turn up on
> Amazon. I have the Naxos Historical CDs that Mark Obert Thorn did, and
> they sound very good. Although "Not for Sale in the US", Amazon
> 3rd-party vendors have them. There are a total of 11 volumes. Try
> searching for " schnabel beethoven naxos" as well as " schnabel
> beethoven naxos historical" to come up with all of the available
> choices. Some dealers are charging over-the-top prices for them.
>
> There's a new set from Warner/EMI that claims to be new 96/24
> transfers:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Piano-Sonatas-Artur-Schnabel/dp/B01GIUNCNM/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1481231831&sr=1-1&keywords=schnabel+beethoven
>
> You can't beat the price. The old EMI set sounded like crap - avoid
> it. The newer transfers done by EMI at Abbey Road have been much
> better than their work from the 1980s and 90s. If I had to do it, I
> think I'd take a chance on that new Warner/EMI set.

I bought the new Warner set. It is a dsisaster. Somebody turned the
noise reduction up to 11, and the remaining sound does not resemble a
piano. It is more like a cheap 1980s electronic keyboard.

I think the Naxos set is the best. There is still noise, but it does
sound like a piano.

Regards
--
Don Cox