Dear Don,

Thanks for the warning. This is why I still keep my 78s of Schnabel's "32".
The same transfer originally made in the fifties has been endlessly
recycled by EMI throughout the subsequent decades. It was a poor transfer
to begin with and sounds worse with each new iteration, never better.
Whatever Warner/EMI claims, no one is going to do a new in-house a/d
transfer of this material. Why should they when succeeding generations will
be content to hear it via mp3 or its degraded successors?

DDR

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 4:06 PM, Don Cox <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 08/12/2016, Gary A. Galo wrote:
>
> > Hi Jim,
> >
> > Seth Winner did them for Pearl many years ago - they do turn up on
> > Amazon. I have the Naxos Historical CDs that Mark Obert Thorn did, and
> > they sound very good. Although "Not for Sale in the US", Amazon
> > 3rd-party vendors have them. There are a total of 11 volumes. Try
> > searching for " schnabel beethoven naxos" as well as " schnabel
> > beethoven naxos historical" to come up with all of the available
> > choices. Some dealers are charging over-the-top prices for them.
> >
> > There's a new set from Warner/EMI that claims to be new 96/24
> > transfers:
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Piano-Sonatas-Artur-
> Schnabel/dp/B01GIUNCNM/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=
> 1481231831&sr=1-1&keywords=schnabel+beethoven
> >
> > You can't beat the price. The old EMI set sounded like crap - avoid
> > it. The newer transfers done by EMI at Abbey Road have been much
> > better than their work from the 1980s and 90s. If I had to do it, I
> > think I'd take a chance on that new Warner/EMI set.
> >
> I bought the new Warner set. It is a dsisaster. Somebody turned the
> noise reduction up to 11, and the remaining sound does not resemble a
> piano. It is more like a cheap 1980s electronic keyboard.
>
> I think the Naxos set is the best. There is still noise, but it does
> sound like a piano.
>
> Regards
> --
> Don Cox