Hi Joel,

You didn't say what type of video tapes are involved: Analog, Digital or
both.

Firstly: I wouldn't recommend any digitizing service unless you can
specify the resolution. On the subject of resolution: Go for the highest
quality that you think might be in use when your grandchildren want to
watch the videos. That said, I would go for, at least, 1080P. Yes, that
may be far in excess of the resolution of the source, but higher
resolution will pay off if any editing is to be done.

I digitized all of our VHS tapes and wrote about it here:
http://www.baileyzone.net/saving%20video.htm

Cloud storage services are great but remember that they all will
compress your files. I offer some options in the aforementioned article
and in other articles at my website.

Metadata: It will be captured in every frame of the digitized file. No
need to have it present all of the time for viewing. Disappearing titles
are one advantage of editing the video. (only edit _copies_ of the
original files, please.)

Cheers!

Corey
Corey Bailey Audio Engineering