I think I remember seeing a report from the Image Permanence Institute,
about CD R and DVD R disks. Of the four different common chemical
compounds used to formulate the dye data) layer, only one type had any
real permanence.

Gold disks have gold just in the reflective layer, which is not supposed
to oxidize if the layers are separated (disk rot). You could have gold
reflective layer disks that have a poor chemical formulation for the
photo sensitive dye layer and the data will still decay with a gold disk
just as fast.

If content is going to be on disk only (not recommended for many
reasons), at least two different copies on at least two different
reliable manufacturers stored in at least two different physical
locations. Also have a succession plan to move the data to new disks
every 5-6 years if CD, 8 years if DVD.

If you're relying on claims that tout gold disks lasting 100 years, even
if the data does last, good luck finding a player/drive for them!

Just my two cents...

John Schroth

MTS