Hi All,

The British Institute of Recorded Sound (part of the British Library)
devised a clock-like mechanism to very slooowly unwind audio tapes that
suffer from oxide flaking. The process apparently has some merit. I
tried shuttling (running the shuttle function at a creep) a small reel
of 1/4", AMPEX 456 that suffered from this problem and wasn't that
successful. This was before I heard of the British Library's clock
mechanism. So, apparently, the slower one can unwind the layers of a
tape suffering from oxide flaking or shedding, the better. I have often
wondered if applying a chemical would help this process. Where I had
access to potential candidates for some experimentation, the corporate
environment wouldn't allow it.

As far as tape stocks suffering from oxide flaking or shedding:
I have mostly run across the problem with AGFA, BASF and AMPEX stocks.
Some early brands (mostly the cheaper ones as Richard pointed out) of
acetate base tape have given me oxide shedding fits. I have experienced
oxide shed with Scotch 201 but almost exclusively at the edges of the
reel (both 1/4" & 1/2"), leaving the modulation intact. Scotch 206 used
to be the the one formulation that I could count on but no more. I have
encountered enough 206 in the last few years that has gone SS, that I
now check the condition of every brand and type of tape.

Regards,

Corey Corey Bailey Audio Engineering
www.baileyzone.net