Dear friends:

I would like to digitize some camcorder footage. A few questions for anyone who has tackled a similar project.

First, there are plenty of services (Costco, etc.) which will digitize tapes onto DVDrs. I am wondering in this age of increasingly cheap storage if it makes more sense to go from tapes directly to digital files instead? (Avoids any quality issues going to DVD first and then ripping to digital; avoids issues with suitability of DVDrs for archival storage; renders video in editable, digital form right at the start.) Are there any suggested services that take this approach?

Second, any suggested quality level for the video? Is there any need to preserve it at a higher resolution than the original?

Third, suggested ways of storing the digitized video? (RAID array? Backed up on Amazon Web Services?)

And last, is there any way to capture date and time metadata on the transferred video? WITHOUT showing it continually on screen as the video plays?

Thanks in advance for your insights!

Regards,

Joel

Joel Bresler, Publisher

www.sephardicmusic.org

250 E. Emerson Road

Lexington, MA 02420

United States

1-781-862-4104 (Telephone & FAX)

IN CASE OF VERIZON EMAIL PROBLEMS, PLEASE USE MY BACK-UP EMAIL:

joelbresler-at-gmail.com