Well, that was the Toscanini family’s collection. While they had it, they kept pretty tight control. I don’t know what the restrictions of the gift were, but I suspect it may be difficult or impossible to get access even to listen, let alone for publication.

The ATS released quite a bit of those performances, but I don’t know whether they were sourced from this (I doubt it) or other copies. I’d love to know whether the Meistersingers are in better sound than the released versions (Toscanini is said to have wanted that released when he listened to it after his retirement), ditto the Fidelio, and whether the Bruckner 7th is more complete than the version that leaked out (which has some terrible side breaks and missing music – including the finale to the first movement).

Incidentally, the Philharmonic has a fascinating program under way. They have a lot of scores with markings by individual conductors, mostly available on line. They are putting some of those together with actual performances by the conductors involved in a way that it will be possible to hear the concert and see the score (and markings) used by the conductor. They demonstrated some of them early this year at a program I went to in NYC. They said it took about 3 hours to synchronize an hour of music with the score; it was mostly done by computer, but with some hand tweaking necessary.

Lofty