NLM Invites Eligible Applicants for Supervisory Unit Head Positions (Application Closes 12/05/2016)
The National Library of Medicine (NLM) is recruiting up to 2 Supervisory Technical Information Specialists (Unit Heads) in the Division of Library Operations. You are eligible to apply if you are a current government employee or have another eligible status. If you are eligible, you may apply to the USAJobs posting.
Unit Heads are the foundation of the Division of Library Operations. They are the supervisors who keep our staff motivated and appreciated for the hard work they do every day. The Division of Library Operations, NLM is looking for leaders who can lead units, teams, workgroups, and develop into future section heads and division chiefs. NLM is looking for leaders who are and can demonstrate adaptability, effective change management, collaboration and communication skills, coaching, conflict resolution, commitment to leveraging diversity, mentoring, motivating others, and performance management.
Terminology, QA and User Services Unit, MEDLARS Management Section, Bibliographic Services Division
This position directs the work of six professional staff and 2 contractors who support the following programs: AccessGUDID, DailyMed, RxNorm, SNOMED CT, Value Set Authority Center (VSAC) and UMLS. The work of this Unit supports the interoperability and unambiguous exchange of health data. The Unit Head interacts with staff from FDA, ONC and CMS as well as collaborating with other NLM Divisions which support the tools and terminology standards developed for these products and services.
Staff supporting these products and services:
· Support regular releases of data for these products
· Provide quality control of data and tools used to support these products
· Provide documentation for the releases
· Provide training tools to learn about the products and services and how to use them
Licensing Unit, Collection Development and Acquisitions Section, Technical Services Division
This position directs the work of up to three professional librarians and two library technical support staff. The work of this Unit is to license and manage access to electronic resources under terms that support the Library’s national services and archival responsibilities. The Unit Head serves as NLM's expert on the negotiation of favorable license agreements for electronic journals and other electronic information resources in accordance with NLM policies and guidelines. The Unit Head interacts with publishers and vendors throughout the world to procure access to literature for NLM’s collections as well as collaborating with the NIH Library on shared license agreements and staff in other NLM Divisions which require access to electronic publications to support NLM products and services.
Staff supporting these activities:
· Establish and re-negotiate licenses and maintain access to electronic biomedical and related publications for the NLM collection
· Manage records related to licensing and access in the Electronic Resource Management System, the link resolver system and the integrated library system
· Coordinate and perform access-related problem resolution
· Prepare reports from various systems to support analysis of electronic resources in the NLM collection and collection development decisions.
Head, Library Technology Services Section
Technical Services Division
National Library of Medicine
8600 Rockville Pike
BG 38 RM 1N08K
Bethesda, MD 20894