Everett and all,

NLM has been very supportive of this proposal for two reasons.  First of all, historically we have been coding 600, 610 and 630 fields in our records with indicator “2” (MeSH), but in fact we only use MeSH terms for the 650 fields.  Our names and title subjects are established as found in the NAF. However, we still follow NLM practices, in that we would not add subfields $x, $v or $z to a 600, 610 or 630, whereas libraries that follow LC practice may do so.  So it might be useful to NYU to identify these fields, if only to see if they might need modification in your own files.

Also, we believe that as we move more fully into a linked data environment we are going to want to know the provenance of various pieces of data to help us decide if we want to incorporate it into our local databases.  Libraries will probably trust LCSH assigned by LC or Harvard more than they would a small public library or MeSH assigned by NLM over a small hospital library.  By beginning to add the $5 now to subjects, we make our records more linked data friendly.

Diane

Diane Boehr

Head, Cataloging and Metadata Management Section

National Library of Medicine

8600 Rockville Pike

MSC 3823

Bethesda, MD 20894